A scratch can ruin the overall look and appearance of a car. Minor scratches can be fixed yourself by taking the following steps outlined below.
You will need the following items to complete this task:
- A bucket
- Warm water
- Dish soap
- Soft rags
- Scratch filler
- Primer paint
- One can of matching body paint
- Start by filling the bucket with warm water and adding a couple squirts of dish soap. Mix together the water until the dish soap completely dissolves and you are left with a bucket of soapy warm water.
- Dunk one of the soft rags into the water and begin to clean the area of the car with the scratches on it. Make sure that you get down deep inside the scratch to remove any build up dirt that may be stuck to the vehicle.
- Rinse the soapy water off the car and then using a clean soft rag to dry the vehicle off from all water. Make sure you are using a soft rag that does not having any rough parts on it as they have the potential to scratch the car further.
- After the car is completely dry to touch, apply some liquid scratch filler directly on to the scratch. You can pick up the scratch filler at a local auto body shop and they will be able to advise you on the product that will work best for the scratch. Polish the scratch filler into the scratches on the car and apply more filler as needed. You should begin to slowly see the scratch fade away as you polish the filler into the scratch.
- Apply a coat of primer paint over top of the dried area of scratch filler. Make sure you apply the primer evenly throughout. Let the primer paint dry for a full twenty-four hours before you begin painting.
- Apply the final coat of matching body paint over top of the primer to complete the job. Let the final coat of paint dry for a full day before you begin driving the car again.
If the steps outlined above do not fix the scratch, then it may be a much deeper scratch that needs to be fixed by an auto body shop. A professional auto body shop can take apart the body of the vehicle and buff or sand out scratches to ensure that scratches are not visible. An auto body shop like White Pass Garage can also perfectly match the color of the paint to the vehicle and blend it together seamlessly.